When you read the slogan “Flower Power,” you might think of the 1960s, hippies, the anti-war movement, and groovy psychedelic music. Well, it’s 2014, baby, and “Flower Power” has a whole new meaning thanks to Fairtrade.
That’s because Fairtrade protects and benefits flower workers by certifying farms that ensure safety and good working conditions for their employees.
As a result, you can buy Fairtrade daisies for your hair knowing that the rights of the workers who produced them are being respected. Among other things, Fairtrade Standards for flowers ensure:
- The Fairtrade Premium goes to what both the workers and management democratically decide is most important.
- The Premium must be used for community development and improved working conditions.
- Forced labor and child labor of children under 15 years old is stamped out (an ongoing process).
- Workers have freedom of association and collective agreements. They have the right to establish or join an independent union, elect their advisers and design their own programs.
- Salaries must be equal to or higher than the regional average or the minimum wage.
- Measures are taken to protect workers’ safety and banned pesticides are prohibited.
Now that’s flower power. That’s the Power of You!
We’re in this together
Fairtrade America partners with brands on the journey to certification and beyond. We can help with everything from finding a certified supply chain to marketing your newly certified product.Get in Touch