With the mid-point of Fair Trade Month past, we thought you could use some divine inspiration for your Autumnal baking adventures. Check out this recipe for Double Chocolate Cranberry Cookies from Divine Chocolate!
These lovely heart-shaped cookies crammed with cranberries are perfect for the season. And they call for Fairtrade chocolate, sugar, and vanilla! A triple whammy of impact for the small-scale farmers producing those goods. Plus, when you include dried cranberries from one of the largest farmer-owned cooperatives in the US, you wrap local impact in there as well!
And remember! This Fair Trade Month, we’re all about the bake sales! There are a lot of deserving organizations out there, so why not fundraise with a bake sale and incorporate as many Fairtrade ingredients as possible? Be sure to register your event at www.fairtradebakesale.com!
Divine Double Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup Tate+Lyle’s Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey’s Fairtrade Organic Vanilla Extract
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Divine Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Ocean Spray Dried Cranberries
- 2 Divine Bittersweet Baking Bar broken into chunks
- 2 portions love (not optional)
Preparation & Quantity
Makes 24 cookies
Preheat oven to 350* F
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cranberries and chocolate; mix until combined (do not over mix (we’re not sure what that means)).
- Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet (shape into hearts (this is where you add that love bit)).
- Blow them a little kiss.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool and pack 3 to a bag.
- Set out on a table with a ‘Suggested donation of $3’ price tag at your church, school or workplace.
- Gather up donations and send in to your favorite cause.
- Make sure you registered your bake sale at www.fairtradebakesale.com.
What Makes These Cookies so Good?
Fairtrade chocolate from Divine Chocolate is something special! The company is 44% owned by the 85,000 farmer members of Kuapa Kokoo, a Fairtrade certified cooperative in Ghana. Kuapa Kokoo, which means ‘good cocoa farmer’ in Twi, was set up in 1993 by a number of leading cocoa farmers who recognized the opportunity to organize farmers and found a company to market their own cocoa. Since becoming Fairtrade certified, the farmers of Kuapa Kokoo have bolstered their business acumen and improved their production. And the Fairtrade Premium they receive for sales on Fairtrade terms has allowed them to invest in a wide variety of projects in the local communities, including access to drinking water, school construction and improvement, support and training for farmers, and much more. Read all about Kuapa Kokoo on our website here.
We’re in this together
Fairtrade America partners with brands on the journey to certification and beyond. We can help with everything from finding a certified supply chain to marketing your newly certified product.Get in Touch