Fairtrade Coffee Cabinet Recipe with Ethical Bean Coffee
A quirky name for what might just be the tastiest milkshake this side of the Mississippi. Join our partners from Ethical Bean Coffee for this great summer treat.
To folks outside New England, coffee and ice cream might just simply be a coffee milkshake. But to the good people from the coffee-loving state of Rhode Island, this refreshing concoction is a coffee cabinet. Why’s that you ask? One explanation for the name may be that back in the days of old-school medicine, pharmacists kept coffee syrup in cabinets behind the counter (maybe as a Monday morning pick me up?).
Regardless of the name, the coffee cabinet is a refreshing drink that’ll keep you awake and cool during this scorching summer season. Combining homemade Ethical Bean coffee syrup with coffee ice cream elevates this far beyond your average coffee and ice cream shake – give the recipe below a try!
Pro-tip: use the extra coffee syrup to make another Rhode Island favorite, coffee milk! Or pour it over vanilla ice cream, or add it to your White Russian, and put it in hot cocoa – the possibilities, like your coffee-boosted energy levels, are endless!
For the Ethical Bean Coffee Syrup:
- 1 cup strong brewed Ethical Bean Coffee
- 1 cup Fairtrade sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Fairtrade Vanilla Extract
For the Coffee Cabinet:
- 1-pint Coffee Ice Cream (we used Ben & Jerry’s Coffee, Coffee BuzzBuzzBuzz!)
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup chilled Coffee
- 2 tablespoons Ethical Bean Coffee syrup (we used Ethical Bean’s Lush Roast)
- Making the syrup: In a small saucepan dissolve sugar in coffee. Bring mixture to a light boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer until the mixture has reduced to form a slightly thickened syrup, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in Fairtrade vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate to cool.
- Making the coffee cabinet: Add ice cream, milk, chilled coffee and coffee syrup to a cup/mug and blend with a hand blender. To adjust the thickness of your shake, add additional coffee or milk as desired.
Hope you liked this recipe! Stay tuned for more coffee-related tips & content featuring Ethical Bean through the end of next week on our Twitter & Instagram – and keep an eye out for Ethical Bean’s takeover of our Instagram account all next week.
We’re in this together
Fairtrade America partners with brands on the journey to certification and beyond. We can help with everything from finding a certified supply chain to marketing your newly certified product.Get in Touch