One year in: how US shoppers are changing
Demand for fair trade is on the rise
One year into the pandemic, it is clear that the world isn’t going back to business as usual. This moment of pause has forced many Americans to rethink their lives, their values and their habits.
We are excited to see that this time of reflection has turned into promising shifts towards a more sustainable future:
- US shoppers care about the environment and social justice. 71% of consumers responded that they are equally important.
- They want brands to be more stakeholder-centric. 89% of respondents want companies to ‘hit reset’.
- They are putting their money where their values are. Though sustainability-marketed products are 16.1% of the market, they delivered 54.7% of the CPG market growth.
- Shoppers want to see the proof that products are sustainably sourced. According to the National Confectioners Association’s 2021 State of Treating, Fairtrade is one of the top sought after labels.
- They want brands to show their values. 39% of respondents would reward brands for being Fairtrade certified.
- Brands are seeing this promising shift. 61% of US and UK brands surveyed by the US Cotton Protocol saw an increase in customer demand for environmentally sustainably sourced products.
Those dollars add up, and so does your impact in producer communities: there is thus a wealth of stories to be communicated to your stakeholders, be they customers, employees or shareholders. Everyone wants to be associated with a business that is doing good and behaving responsibly.Jennie Coleman, president, Equifruit, Inc.
Fairtrade is good for business
Fairtrade is the most recognized ethical label in the world. US shoppers know our green and blue logo, and reward brands who have it with loyalty.
Take out the guess work
Running an ethical business takes a lot of work! With rigorous standards, Fairtrade can keep an eye on your supply chains so you can focus on the rest of your to-do list.
Be part of the shift
Ethical, sustainable sourcing has been on the rise for a while! Learn more about this consistent shift in behavior with our bi-annual Globescan research.
Deepen your impact
Fairtrade is a simple way to prioritize people and the planet. Through our innovative approach to trade, you can see the tangible impact in real stories and thoughtful research.
We’re in this together
Fairtrade America partners with brands on the journey to certification and beyond. We can help with everything from finding a certified supply chain to marketing your newly certified product.Get in Touch