Fairtrade America is the exclusive representative of products certified to international Fairtrade standards in the United States. A national, nonprofit organization, we work for the livelihoods of producrs, their families and their communities and primarily intervene via market-facilitation in support of Fairtrade International’s Theory of Change. We seek a better balance of the terms and conditions of trade to improve the livelihoods of farmers, workers and their families as well as increase their voice. When we need to make a difficult decision, we will first consider what would most benefit producer interests.
The FAIRTRADE Mark is the most recognized and trusted ethical label worldwide, found on products sold in over 120 countries that are sourced from over 1,000 producer organizations representing 1.24 million farmers and workers in more than 65 countries. The FAIRTRADE Certification Mark is backed by high level global standards and audited by a rigorous certification system from farm to shelf. At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change.
The Retail Business Development Manager will create and execute a strategy to engage the American retail sector with the aim of increasing the sales of Fairtrade certified products and retailer engagement with the Fairtrade system. The position is a sales and key account management position, and the successful candidate will engage directly with purchasers, marketing, and CSR divisions.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer
- Develop and execute a strategy to engage the America retail sector to bolster commitment of retail accounts to Fairtrade certified products.
- Oversee the development and growth of new retail business engagement with Fairtrade and to develop and maintain effective key account relationships with brand partners in specific retail accounts
- Ensure the growth of Fairtrade market access through directing and managing business development activities delivered in accordance with the organizational strategy
- Work with counterparts in the global Fairtrade system to develop programming for retailers and distribution strategies
- Provide marketing support to ensure client engagement opportunities for promotion and marketing
- Build awareness and understanding of Fairtrade by educating potential and existing clients of the Fairtrade system through presentations, trade show attendance, public speaking opportunities
- Ensure proper communication flow among Fairtrade system partners to ensure best outcomes
- Work on holidays, evenings or weekends may be required (compensatory time offered)
- Travel which may include International may be required
- Carry out additional assignments as required
- Sales or Marketing degree or a related Business degree
- 5 years of progressive experience in mid to large consumer packaged goods companies or retail companies that included business development activities and a robust network in this industry
- Demonstrated track record of business/revenue growth and new client capture
- Demonstrated success creating and implementing business development strategies, along with a thorough understanding of commercial markets and direct experience working with grocery retailers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including external executive and C-level
- Knowledge of Customer Relations Management databases
- Understanding of supply chains
- Project Management experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of certification systems
- Travel may be required on weekends and holidays, as well as some international travel
- Inter-departmental communication (Certification, Communications, Marketing, Finance) to ensure effective & consistent communication throughout departments and to clientele
- Meeting other duties as assigned and mutually-agreed upon goals
- Experience working within retail sector or broker community is considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Results driven approach
- Strong analytical and relationship building skills
- Incorporate use of market research services/tools in the identification of business opportunities
- Experience in developing short-term and long-term business capture plans
- High personal integrity, honesty
- High interpersonal and priority management skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Spanish is considered an asset
Salary is commensurate with experience. Fairtrade America offers a strong benefits package.
To apply send salary expectations, resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.